Tuesday, December 19, 2006

President?

I'm considering other job opportunities. I would feel bad jumping ship (like a rat) but only because of my boss. I really am not confident of the process we're going through to build better processes. Partly because I'm working so little and getting paid so much. Partly because if I'm not getting feedback, it's also because I'm not telling them how little confidence I have in their work, or mine.

So, President. I'm old enough, I was born in this country, and I'm white. I say white because there haven't been any nonwhite Presidents yet. Nor women. Nor people of unusual sexual natures or gender constructs. Whatever. Is the country ready for a Hillary or a Barack? My question is, are either of these two sawhorses really capable of getting shit done in this country, and if not them, who is? The American people should be hungry, starved really, for someone who can put their political future aside and spend some capital on making people's lives better. Who can see their way out of the fog of money and special interests and ideology though?

I have a feeling there is no positive answer to that.

The American people have a bottom line of likeability. Look what that got us in Bush Jr. What about a bottom line of competence? Why not?

I wouldn't run for President because I'm not competent. I don't have a path through the fog either. I wouldn't expose myself or my family to the scrutiny of a political campaign unless I suddenly came up with something to contribute. Even if I were the best candidate (and I shudder to think that might be possible, even for the Weed Control Board), I'm not rising to the occasion. I would have to have risen already.

I think that's fair.

Barack Obama hasn't risen yet. It's still dawn in his political life. He hasn't had the time to demonstrate much more than oratory skills and being careful with his political image. Hillary has been like a second VP, has entertained and wonked and lied and spent political capital willy nilly. I happen to think she'd be a good Speaker, or a good Ambassador, or a good Secretary of State or something. Maybe a real VP. But I don't think she has a path out of the fog. She's still getting to know the fog.

I'd love to see some old battle ax, war hero, female General or something run for high office. I'd like to see a minority -- maybe African American, maybe Latino, make a run. I'd like the field to be crowded with options that aren't male and white. I'd like to see what can be done to alter American assumptions about who can be President, to invite them to see that the Presidency isn't about symbolism (Ooh, a Jewish VP candidate!) but about who can best define and represent this country's best interests, and the world's interests too. Assumptions, in the words of Les Nessman of WKRP, make asses out of you and me.

Let's see if we can clear up some of this fog.

Being an American isn't about having your values vindicated all the time. It's also not about standing by and watching while your leaders represent monied interests rather than yours. First thing that needs to be done is get the lobbyists out of Washington. Best way to do that would be ban private funding of national elections.

Give national candidates equal air time, no matter what party they represent, if any. Forbid advertising messages, snippets, soundbites. If the candidate wants to be on TV, radio or in print they have to ask and answer questions. Otherwise, let them publish books and see who buys them. Then hold them accountable.

Somehow. Anyone else got any good ideas?

Anybody have a more appropriate job for me, for instance?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home